Spring brings warmer weather and colorful blooms… along with a new mix of allergens and contaminants. When you open your windows for the first time in months, you may notice a drastic difference between the crisp freshness outside and the stuffy funk inside. Feeling concerned about your indoor air quality and how it may be affecting your health and home? One possible solution is to get a professional duct cleaning. Before you invest in the service, you’re probably wondering… is it worth it?
What Exactly Is a Duct Cleaning?
A professional duct cleaning consists of qualified professionals using special tools to clean your supply, intake and return ducts. Why do it? Duct cleaning removes the dirt, mold, mites, pet dander and other junk that clutter up your duct system. There hasn’t been any definitive research, but many people believe that duct cleaning can help reduce symptoms related to asthma, allergies and other respiratory issues linked to mold and air pollutants. One thing we do know for sure is that duct cleaning improves your HVAC system’s airflow, which helps your equipment run more efficiently and reduces your energy bills.
When Should You Spring for the Service?
Not every home requires regular duct cleaning, and how often you need to schedule the service can also vary quite a bit based on your circumstances. Here are a few of the most common reasons to consider duct cleaning:
- Mold – Anytime there is visible mold inside your home, including your ductwork, it poses a threat.
- Noticeable debris – If you can see dust, pet hair and other debris blowing into your living space even after vacuuming your registers, you have significant buildup.
- Animal infestation – Hear any scratching, chirping or clawing coming from your ducts? You can evict unwanted visitors with a duct cleaning.
- Recent home improvements – Renovations kick up a lot of dust that gets trapped in your ducts. In an older home, they can involve asbestos and lead paint, too.
- Nagging illness – If you or your family members are suffering from an allergy-related illness that you just can’t kick, a duct cleaning is definitely worth a try.
Tips for Avoiding a Scam
Unfortunately disreputable companies may try to sell you questionable duct cleaning services. Any time you hire a company to provide a major home service, it’s a good idea to request references and get a written estimate prior to scheduling the work. Specific to duct cleaning, avoid anyone who:
- Steam cleans – This introduces the unnecessary risk of moisture.
- Uses sealants or chemical sprays – This is against the recommendations of the EPA and the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA).
- Offers double-digit deals – Duct cleaning is a precise service involving specialized tools and typically requires more than one tech. If a company charges too little, be skeptical.
- Cleans ducts only – A duct cleaning should include your cooling coils, grills, diffusers, and other system components.
Remember, there are also a number of simple things you can do to improve your indoor air quality, such as changing your furnace and A/C filters and scheduling routine maintenance. For more pointers, contact Blind & Sons today!