In your plumbing system there are certain “hotspots” that you should be aware. These are areas that may be more susceptible to potential trouble, so by keeping an eye on them you can avoid more serious problems in the future.
- Leaking Pipes. If you notice a sudden increase in your water bill, or mysterious drips or stains, these may be indicators that you have a leaking water pipe in your home. Also, when you’re outside be aware of any spots in your yard that always seem to be wet. If you suspect you have a leak, shut down your main water supply and call a plumber immediately!
- Noisy Pipes. This can be hard to diagnose. What’s known as “air hammer” or loose pipes can often be the problem in this situation. A faulty pressure regulator can also cause these strange noises.
- Drains. Drains in your kitchen are most likely to become clogged by food or grease. Be careful what you put down the drain and never pour grease into your sink. In your bathroom, hair is the main culprit for causing a blockage. Periodic drain maintenance is a must.
- Water Heaters. Scale build-up and sedimentation in the tank are problems with all types of water heaters. It’s important to drain your water heater once a year to remove this build-up. Also look at the base of the water heater for any rust or water on the floor. These are early warning signs that your water heater might have a leak or could spring a leak in the future. It’s important to pay attention to these warning signs and replace your water heater before it becomes a major problem and causes water damage to your home.
- Toilets. Toilets can exhibit a range of symptoms, one of which is running incessantly. This may indicate a faulty fill valve, float arm or valve seal. Toilets are also liable to leak at the junction of the bowl and the tank, where a new washer or seal is often required. Look for any rust stains on the floor behind the toilet. This could be a sign that the bolts are rusting thru.
- Faucets and Showerheads. Leaking faucets and showerheads are the most common problems encountered in the home. This typically means replacement of a washer or cartridge, and these are widely available and easy to replace.