Summers in Northern Ohio can be humid, which can make your air conditioner and home comfort systems work a little harder. Perhaps your Blind & Sons technician has mentioned adding a dehumidifier to your home, but you’re skeptical. Why is it important to have a dehumidifier in your home?

What is a dehumidifier?

A dehumidifier removes the moisture from the air in your home. A whole-home dehumidifier is designed to work with the home’s heating and cooling system, and allows you to be certain that excess moisture is being removed from all over your home, even the spots you might not think there is excess moisture. Blind & Sons carries the Lennox Healthy Climate Whole-Home Dehumidifier systems, which can remove 65, 90 or 135 gallons of moisture per day from the air…that’s a lot of uncomfortable moisture.

Dehumidifiers pull the moisture out of the air and rids it from your home—with a whole home system the air is expelled via the sewage drain or basement window. A technician can show you the path of the expelled water.

Why a dehumidifier?

Not only can too much moisture in the air make you feel uncomfortable, but it can also be unhealthy for you and your family. Too much moisture can encourage the growth of mold and mildew. Also, too much moisture can cause damage to your furniture, clothing and carpets.

Perhaps you’ve seen one, or more, of these signs of too much moisture in your home:

Condensation on the inside of windows or glass doors  Be wary that a build up of condensation on window sills can eventually rot the wood, thus causing more damage.  This is also a breeding ground for mold (black or dark grunge on the bottom of the window trim).

Spots of mold on the ceiling or in corners  Speaking of mold, if you see spots on your ceilings or in the corners or walls, not only will you need a dehumidifier (or a better exhaust system in your bathroom), but you might need to have a contractor see if you need to do more extensive removal of the mold (which can be very bad for your health).

A musty smell  When you walk down into your basement, garage or even entrances to your home and it smells musty, that could be the presence of mold and mildew.

Call Blind & Sons today to discuss what options we can offer to help increase home comfort and keeping your family healthy.