Staying warm during a notoriously brutal Northeast Ohio winter can sometimes seem impossible. While it’s tempting to crank up the heat during a bad cold spell, doing so can place a serious strain on your monthly heating budget.
Keeping comfortable during the winter season doesn’t have to break the bank. There are plenty of steps homeowners can take to warm their homes while staying energy-efficient and budget-friendly.
6 Tips for Staying Warm in Northeast Ohio While Conserving Energy
When winter weather takes up residence in your Akron, Ohio home, the answer isn’t in raising your thermostat. Fight the temptation to turn up the heat this winter by taking the following steps to stay comfortable while also spending less on ensuring a warmer temperature in your home:
- Curtain call: Opening your curtains during the day to allow sunlight in can provide you with additional heat. Closing your curtains once the sun begins to set can also provide additional protection from cold nighttime drafts.
- Weatherstripping: Add insulation to your home by installing a bit of rubber weather-stripping around your doors and windows.
- Seal vents: Do you have rooms you just don’t use? Seal off the vents to only heat the rooms that are used in your home.
- Home makeover: Large pieces of furniture can block radiators, vents, and other heat sources. Move around your furniture to keep it from blocking access to heat.
- Slow and steady: Rather than cranking up the heat when the house is too cold, inch the temperature up gradually to keep from wasting energy and causing your unit to work harder than necessary.
- Ceiling fans: Setting your ceiling fans to turn counter-clockwise on a low setting will push hot air down from the ceiling to the rest of your room.
When homeowners constantly combat the cold by turning the heat up higher or setting their heaters to run high all day, they can inadvertently cause damage to their units. This can cause premature breakdown, costly repairs and maintenance, and higher than average energy bills.
HVAC Maintenance Can Ensure Energy-Efficient Heating in Your Akron Home
One of the best things homeowners can do to ensure their heaters operate at top performance while providing the most energy savings is scheduling routine maintenance. Proper maintenance is the key to extending your system’s life span and ensuring more energy-efficient operation.
During a routine maintenance inspection, your professional HVAC contractor will do the following:
- Replace air filters as needed
- Ensure all motorized parts are well-lubricated
- Clean and clear ductwork to promote enhanced performance
- Identify any imminent repair needs to prevent a system breakdown
Heating maintenance isn’t just great for ensuring top performance and energy efficiency, but it can also help you avoid the cost of unnecessary repairs and replacement services. And by scheduling routine maintenance ahead of the colder season, you can ensure your system will keep you warm all winter long.
Contact Blind & Sons for Heating Maintenance & Repair in Northeast Ohio
At Blind & Sons, your comfort is our top priority. We provide Northeast and Akron, Ohio homeowners with the heating maintenance, repair, and replacement services they need to access energy-efficient, top-performing heat all winter long.
If you’re looking to optimize your systems this season to provide you with warmth and energy savings, contact the team at Blind & Sons to schedule your heating repair, replacement, or maintenance appointment today!
Just call (330) 753-7711 or contact Blind & Sons online for professional HVAC services in Northeast Ohio.