Can a Homeowner Install a Water Heater?
Do-it-yourself (DIY) projects can save you money if you know what you’re doing. In some cases, though, DIY work may end up costing you more in the long. It may even create unnecessary risks and dangers in your home. This is usually the case for water heater installations. Here’s why.
5 Reasons It’s Best to Have a Plumber Install a Water Heater
Entrusting your water heater installation to an experienced plumber is typically better than trying to do it yourself for these reasons:
- Safety: Water heater installation is complicated, requiring plumbing and electrical hookups. If your new system is a gas water heater, the gas lines will also need to be connected properly. Missing any critical steps in the water heater installation process can create risks of electrocution, gas line leaks, and carbon monoxide poisoning, just to name a few. A trained and certified plumber will know exactly what to do to ensure your new water heater is safely and properly installed. And that can give you priceless peace of mind, as well as reliable access to hot water whenever you need it!
- Codes and permitting: Did you know that, once installed, all new and replacement water heaters in Hamilton County, OH must be permitted and inspected by the County? Do you know how to obtain this type of plumbing permit? And, perhaps more importantly, are you confident that your system would pass an inspection if you installed it? With an experienced plumber handling your water heater installation, you won’t have to worry about any of these requirements—your plumber will take care of all of this for you!
- Guarantees: Professional water heater installation service from reputable plumbing contractors usually comes with some type of guarantee. That can mean, if anything goes wrong (within some period), they’ll fix it at little or no cost to you! Alternatively, if you install your water heater yourself, not only will not get any guarantees backing the work, but it’s also more likely that something will go wrong.
- Water heater efficiency: A properly installed water heater will work as it is designed to work, using both water and energy efficiently. If you install your water heater on your own and you make even one mistake, there are far greater chances that your system won’t be operating properly or as smoothly as it should. And that can mean higher energy and water bills month after month.
- Longevity of your new water heater: Improper water heater installation and poor performance can mean more problems throughout your system’s life. While that can lead to more repairs—and more costs, it can also shorten the lifespan of your system.
When it comes to water heater installations, the bottom line is that it’s best to trust an experienced plumber to handle the job. The price you pay upfront for this service can save you a lot of money over time by:
- Optimizing energy and water use and reducing those bills
- Minimizing the risk of problems and the need for repairs
- Maximizing the life of your water heater
Need Water Heater Service in Akron or Northeast Ohio? Contact Blind & Sons!
The expert plumbers at Blind & Sons can handle all of your water heater needs, from recommending the best system to meet your needs and budget to installation, replacement, repairs, and maintenance. So, whenever you need water heater services in your Akron or Northeast Ohio home, don’t hesitate to contact our team of plumbing experts!
For water heater installation, replacement, repair, or maintenance in the Northeast Ohio area, call Blind & Sons at (330) 753-7711 or contact us online! We proudly offer 24/7 emergency plumbing service!
Neighbors We are committed to bringing our
community fast, affordable home