High Electric Bill? It May Be Your Water Heater
Did you know that your home’s water heater consumes a ton of energy? In fact, it’s often the second highest energy consumer in your home. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, about 18% of your electricity costs are directly tied to your water heating system. If you’ve noticed a rise in your recent electric bills, don’t start taking cold showers just yet. There are helpful steps you can take to ensure that your water heater is running up to manufactory standards for peak performance.
Check out this guide from Blind & Sons to learn how to improve your water heater’s efficiency! If you have any questions or need water heater services, call our team at (330) 753-7711.
Reasons Your Water Heater Might Not Be Energy Efficient
An energy-efficient system works to keep your water temperatures at the right temperature without overworking your system and wasting energy. There are two main issues why your water heater may be losing efficiency and doubling your cost to operate your system: an old system and sediment buildup.
Old Water Heaters
A regularly maintained water heater can last up to 15 years. Old water heaters tend to be less energy-efficient due to the large technology gap that has resulted in more efficient systems. However, the most obvious reason why is because of time. The more time that passes, the more wear occurs on your system. Eventually, your water heater must work harder to perform, resulting in a lot of energy waste.
If your home is equipped with a storage-tank water heater, then buildup is bound to occur from naturally occurring minerals like calcium and magnesium. These produce sediment particles that settle at the bottom of your tank, affecting your tank’s ability to maintain a consistent temperature. With fluctuations in temperature, your tank’s energy efficiency decreases as your energy bill rises.
Whether it’s time to have your water heater flushed or replaced, Blind & Sons can help! Call (330) 753-7711 or contact us online to schedule water heater services in Northeast Ohio.
What You Can Do To Make Your Water Heater More Energy-Efficient
There are steps you can take to ensure your system isn’t burdening you with a large bill at the end of each month. Use the checklist below to see if you can increase efficiency and decrease your operating costs.
- Lower the temp on your hot water tank: Your tanks use energy to maintain a consistent water temperature. Lowering your system temperature to 130 degrees can save up to 18% on your electric bill.
- Flush the sediment out of your tank: Don’t overwork your system. Flushing the sediment in your tank eliminates fluctuating water temperatures and can restore your tank’s efficiency.
- Insulate your tank: Consider insulating your water heater to reduce the loss of heat in your storage tank to save between 7% to 16% on energy costs per year.
- Install a water heater tank timer: To prevent an on-and-off cycle during your water heating process, consider a tank timer installation that helps to regulate when your system begins heating your water.
- Wash laundry in cold water: Laundry keeps piling up, but don’t let your energy bills pile up too. Washing your clothes in cold water helps to reduce energy waste by eliminating the need to heat your water for every laundry load.
If you’ve tested out these tricks and are still dealing with exceptionally high energy bills, call Blind & Sons at (330) 753-7711 to have our team inspect your water heater.
Consider Replacing Your Old, Energy Draining Water Heater With a Tankless Water Heater
There’s only so much you can do to increase the energy efficiency of an old water heater. If your operating costs are rising, then it may be time to invest in a tankless water heating system. Because tankless systems heat water on demand, these systems use less energy and cost less to operate. They also take up less footprint in your home and require less maintenance than a storage-tank water heater.
Curious about switching to a tankless water heater at your Northeast Ohio home? Call (330) 753-7711 or contact us online to learn more.
Contact Blind & Sons for Water Heater Services
We’ve been in the business for 80-plus years of providing worry-free, home comfort solutions. Our family-owned company provides services you can depend on to make your home the best place to be. For all your water heater needs, let our professionals help you find the best option that fits your budget and home’s needs.
When you need water heater services in Akron or the surrounding areas of Northeast Ohio, go with Blind & Sons! Call (330) 753-7711 or contact us online today.
Neighbors We are committed to bringing our
community fast, affordable home