Heat Pump Repair in Akron & Northeast Ohio
A heat pump system is a great value across the board for homeowners in Northeast Ohio. Powerful cooling coupled with strong home heating means you’re cozy at all times. But just because a system is great, most certainly does not mean it’s incapable of experiencing problems. Is your heat pump causing complications in your home? Then you need the heat pump repair team at Blind & Sons!
Our heat pump specialists are trained, licensed, and certified to offer top-class repair services for our clients in Ohio. Whether your needs are simple or complex, we’re the team you can always trust to bring you services that meet your needs fully, and at a price you can be comfortable with.
Heat Pump Repair Services
The up and down weather we contend with in Northeastern Ohio is not at all kind to those that have an underperforming HVAC system. When the system goes down, or even when it starts working at a pace less than ideal, you can immediately become uncomfortable, stressed, and unsure of what to do next.
That’s when you call on Blind & Sons. Our repair experts are equipped with the best tools and training to be found in the business, meaning we can offer services that are both quick and accurate.
Benefits of Heat Pump Repair
In some cases, your heat pump might be malfunctioning, but still heat or cool your home to some degree. It can be tempting to put off repairs to save time and money, but it’s important to be aware that what starts as a minor issue can turn into a major problem if ignored. Instead of waiting, call Blind & Sons for heat pump repair and enjoy these benefits:
- Restored comfort – If your heat pump has any kind of malfunction, it’s likely having trouble heating or cooling your home to the desired levels. Getting it fixed will bring your home back to your ideal temperatures.
- Increased efficiency – Even if your heat pump is still working, it’s likely struggling to do so. This means it’s using more energy, which can ramp up your utility bills.
- Prevent more expensive problems – As mentioned above, the sooner you get your heat pump repaired, the better! A small problem that requires an inexpensive repair can turn into a very costly repair, or even cause your heat pump to break down entirely.
- Longer life span for your heat pump – Letting your heat pump work without getting it repaired puts stress on the system. This will wear it down, causing it to break down. Keeping it in top shape will extend its life span and save you money in the long run.
- Reduced noise – Heat pumps can be noisy, but broken heat pumps are often VERY loud. Have any needed repairs done to cut down on the noise.
Signs You Need Heat Pump Repair
Watch out for these common warning signs:
- Mode jamming. A part called the reversing valve is responsible for swapping between heating and cooling modes in a heat pump. If this becomes jammed, you can’t switch, meaning you need to call for a repair service.
- Ice or frost on the heat pump. A properly operating heat pump has a very effective defrost cycle, so if you see persistent ice or frost then there’s a larger issue.
- Weak air flow. Poor air flow can be caused by a very wide range of issues, but they all will eventually translate to the system overheating or breaking down. Act fast to avoid this!
- Unusual sounds. Clanks, bangs, squeals, and other odd sounds are pretty jarring—and honestly they should be! Most of the time these mean component wear or damage, which needs to be addressed right away to avoid more serious damage.
- High heating or cooling costs. Many homeowners specifically choose heat pumps for their sheer efficiency and generally lower operating costs. So if you aren’t getting that benefit, it’s time to see what the larger issue at hand is.
Heat Pump Troubleshooting Tips
Some issues your heat pump may experience can be solved without calling in a professional if you know what to look for. Below are some steps you can take to remedy a few common heat pump problems. In all cases, if our DIY tips don’t work, don’t wait for the problem to worsen before calling Blind & Sons for help.
Heat pump is running constantly or is not heating/cooling your home sufficiently
One simple fix to this problem could be removing any debris that is blocking air from entering the outdoor unit. Check it for excessive leaves, snow, trash, or dirt. If it’s being obstructed by debris, remove it, then monitor the temperature inside. If the problem persists, it’s time to call a professional.
Outdoor unit is frozen over in the winter
It’s normal for a little bit of frost to build up on your heating pump’s outdoor unit, but if it’s coated in ice, something is wrong. This could mean it has a defective fan motor or a malfunctioning defrost timer, either of which require professional help. But first, check to see if water is leaking onto your heat pump from somewhere. If a leaky gutter is dumping cold water onto the unit, the defrost mode won’t be able to keep up. If your heat pump is frozen over but you see nothing diverting water onto it, call an HVAC technician to investigate.
Fan on the furnace or air handler is not turning on
If your heat pump’s outdoor unit is running, but you don’t feel any air coming into your house, its indoor air handler might not be turning on. If this happens, check your circuit breaker. Your indoor and outdoor units should be on separate breakers, which means it’s possible for one of them to lose power while the other one continues to work. If no circuit breakers have been tripped, contact a professional to look into the problem.
Heat Pump Repair FAQs
Can I repair my heat pump by myself?
Aside from some basic troubleshooting like clearing the outdoor unit of debris and checking your circuit board, we do not recommend that you attempt to repair your heat pump by yourself. They are complicated units that require expert knowledge to troubleshoot and repair properly.
Does my heat pump need repair if it’s noisy?
It’s a fact that heat pumps are louder than furnaces or boilers. But if your heat pump is suddenly making more noise than usual, that’s cause for concern. If you hear clicks, bangs, or squealing/shrieking coming from your heat pump, call a professional immediately.
Does my heat pump need repair if it’s not heating/cooling as well as it used to?
Heat pumps last around 15 years, so if yours is less than 10 years old and seems to have dropped off in performance, it may need repairs. In most cases it’s simply a matter of getting a tune up to change its filters and clean, lubricate, and calibrate its parts for optimum performance.
Heat Pump Repair in Northeast Ohio with Blind & Sons
At Blind & Sons we make your comfort and needs our absolute priority. Whether you’re dealing with a huge heat pump complication, a minor inconvenience, or are in need of a more comprehensive service, we’ve got the tools to get the job done right.
When you need heat pump repair in Northeast Ohio, contact Blind & Sons online.