Water Heater Red Flags & How to Spot Them
While you cannot predict when your water heater will fail, you can be aware of the signs of trouble.
From unusual sounds to water discoloration, there are vital telltale signs that indicate it’s time to contact the plumbers from Blind & Sons to determine whether your water heater needs repairing or replacing.
Let’s review some of the typical water heater red flags that you should not ignore:
Signs That Your Water Heater Needs Repair
- Cold or lukewarm water. There are many modern conveniences that people can adapt to in their living spaces. Unexpected cold showers are not one of them. If you notice that you’re running out of hot water too quickly when showering or washing dishes, this could indicate water heater repairs are on the horizon.
- Water leaks. Leaps, drips, or puddles around your water heater are sure signs that something’s amiss. A dripping water heater can flood your entire home if not repaired immediately. If you notice any of these signs, you should schedule repairs right away. Delaying water heater repairs will only lead to more significant and costly problems down the road.
- Strange sounds. Your water heater should operate quietly. If you begin hearing buzzing or banging coming from your water heater, this can indicate that mineral deposits have built up on the heating elements inside of your unit. If this occurs, your unit will need to be evaluated and repaired. Regularly draining your water heater can prevent this problem.
- Lack of regular maintenance. Like most large household appliances, your water heater needs regular maintenance. To extend the life of your water heater, you should consider flushing it and have thorough maintenance service on it once each year.
- Discolored or rusty water. Muddy, brown, or discolored water could indicate increased sentiment in your water tank. If this is the case, schedule water heater maintenance or repairs sooner rather than later.
Common Signs of Water Heater Failure
Typically, the life span of most traditional water heaters is about a decade before they need to be replaced. When the internal mechanisms of the water heater corrode or become encased in a buildup of minerals, its efficiency will decline.
There are some signs to look for to determine if you need water heater replacement before yours gives out completely, including:
- Age of the water heater. Water heaters don’t last forever and will eventually fail due to normal wear and tear. Older standard water heaters typically have a life expectancy of 10 to 15 years. They are prone to experience more issues, more repairs, and a shorter life span than newer models such as tankless water heaters, which can last over 20 years.
- Broken water heater. If your water heater stops working, especially in the winter, this could be due to too much pressure buildup in the tank, causing the temperature to get too hot. If the valve on the water heater breaks, this is not only an urgent matter, but this could be cause for replacing your water heater altogether.
- Corroded water heater. If your water heater experiences corrosion, it’s likely caused by the mix of oxygen and water in contact with metal. Corrosion in water heaters is not just a cosmetic concern; it can quickly become a health and safety problem.
- Water heater gas valve leakages. A leaking water heater tank is best evaluated by a professional to determine the specific cause. A faulty pressure relief valve, cloudy water, popping noises, and a lack of hot water are other potentially dangerous signs. If you see water leakage, contact a plumbing professional right away to detect the problems with your water heating system.
If you experience any of the water heater red flags noted above, don’t hesitate to reach out to the friendly professionals at Blind & Sons today!
Akron, Cleveland, Barberton & Northeast Ohio residents
We don’t suggest you wait until a problem with your water heater worsens. Blind & Sons will figure out the problem and resolve it promptly and efficiently. Our team is available for residential and commercial water heater replacements in the surrounding areas of Akron, Cleveland, Barberton, and Northeast Ohio.
Contact our expert plumbers today at (330) 753-7711 to schedule your appointment.
Neighbors We are committed to bringing our
community fast, affordable home